Monday 28 February 2011

Day 11: Peel Hall at Salford University


Today's photo is a picture of Peel hall, I have had many lectures in this building and even thought not one of the best places to have a lecture it is one of the most beautiful buildings around! The University's origins can be traced to 1896 when it opened as the Royal Technical Institute, Salford. This itself resulted from a merger of the Salford Working Men's College, which was founded in 1858, and Pendleton Mechanics Institute which was founded in 1850.The Royal Technical Institute, Salford received royal letters, after the then Duke and Duchess of York (later to become King George V and Queen Mary) officiated at the opening ceremony. This event is commemorated in the university's Redbrick Peel Building. This opening allowed the word 'Royal' to be appended to name of the institute.
 With seating for nearly 400 people, Peel Hall hosts many musical performances and is the main venue for the midday recitals as the hall is acousticly tuned for the perfect sound. The hall is housed in the Peel Building, a red brick and terracotta Victorian building located on the Peel Park Campus. The Peel building also has many small lecture rooms and is also the location of many offices to the lectures themselves. Now I had to decide if I should do a random facts section in this blog as I have already given so many! but I think I will keep it up as it has become a sort of thing for this blog :P so I had to choose whether to do it on The Victorian era or Terracotta and I think the Victorian era is just a little more interesting! (hope I haven't bored you already! You at the back wake up!)   
Now for some random facts! 
The Victorian era of the United Kingdom was the period of Queen Victoria's reign from June 1837 until her death on 22 January 1901.The reign was a long period of prosperity for the British people, as a result of profits gained from the British Empire, as well as from industrial improvements at home. Some scholars extend the beginning of the period—as defined by a variety of sensibilities and political games that have come to be associated with the Victorians.

5 comments:

  1. I just love the outside of that building, dunno about the inside tho ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel smarter just looking at this picture! i could imagine how i would feel inside? Such pretty architecture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the inside is average and a bit out dated but the hall is quite nice! and that's Victorian architecture for you they put a lot effort into it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never really looked at the outside properly before only glimpses as I pass because I'm not round this area much. It's a great building probably the Uni's best I'd say from this image. I think I'll wander down and have a good look tomorrow. Cheers for opening my eyes Will haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. your welcome Tommy and yer I do think it is one of the best buildings in the Uni the inside is a little grim and out dated but still looks nice from the outside!

    ReplyDelete